As a registered Private Training Establishment (PTE), TSB TOPEC employs qualified teachers, alongside highly-qualified, passionate instructors to run programmes for tertiary, secondary and primary aged-children.
TSB TOPEC programmes for Schools are constructed using the NZ Curriculum as the foundation document.
The learning area that best encapsulates our philosophy at TSB TOPEC is Health and Physical Education, however, the outdoors is a fantastic environmental learning platform for many other subjects.
The concepts within the learning area of Health and Physical Education include:
- Attitudes and values
- Socio-ecological perspectives
- Health promotion
The strands that integrate the concepts include:
- Personal health and physical development
- Movement concepts and motor skills
- Relationships with other people
- Healthy communities and environments
Specifically, at TSB TOPEC the following key areas of learning provide the vehicle for delivery of the concepts and strands:
- Body care and physical safety
- Physical activity
- Sport studies
- Outdoor Education
TOPEC promotes learners to become confident and creative, connected and actively involved. Programmes are based on core values and key competencies and are integrated with the New Zealand Curriculum achievement objectives.
Programmes include the facilitation and promotion of the following:
- Using Language, Symbols and Text
- Managing Self
- Relating to Others
- Participating and Contributing
- Innovation, Inquiry and Curiosity
- Community and Participation
- Ecological Sustainability / Kaitiakitanga – respect and responsibility for self, for others and for the environment
The development of these competencies and values enables life-long learning.
Participants must be eight or above.
Instructors will assume full responsibility for the groups during sessions. The visiting group leaders are responsible for supervision after 4.30 pm ie. the evenings and overnight.
- All specialist equipment is provided.
- All those rafting, kayaking, river sledging / bugging, body boarding, or canoeing must be water confident.
- You are welcome to hire extra gear from our equipment store.
- Overseas visitors must make sure the group can communicate in English.
- For special needs groups, alternate arrangements may be necessary, please phone to discuss your requirements before booking.
- All our instructors are appropriately qualified and experienced.
- All sessions are entirely weather dependent. Every effort will be made to accommodate your booking, however, should conditions be such that we cannot run your session we will offer an alternative activity.
- Taranaki Outdoor Pursuits and Education Centre is a registered charity.
- To ensure the wellbeing of the group every 10 young people must be accompanied by an adult leader or supervisor, all times.