Sustainability in Action
At TSB TOPEC we follow the principle of kaitiakitanga. Kaitiakitanga is about humans acting as guardians and stewards of the sky, sea, and land assisting the gods and ancestral spirits to preserve and protect the physical environment.
Kaitiakitanga is a philosophy that aims to deliver the planet to future generations with its mana / status intact. For us, and those who attend TSB TOPEC, this includes running the Centre and our Programmes following a philosophy of sustainability, protection of the environment, and having minimal impact on the areas we visit.
As part of our kaupapa, TSB TOPEC offers opportunities for groups to participate in environmental projects. Some of our initiatives include:
- An energy audit: usage each week is recorded and ranks groups based on their kilowatt / hour score.
- The earth oven: made from clay, a recycled cattle trough and some good old kiwi ingenuity. The oven is fired from wood collected from along the river, and cooks fantastic pizzas
- Recycling: TSB TOPEC has been acknowledged by New Plymouth District council for the recycling efforts we undertake.
- Eco Lodge: constructed from recycled and or sustainable materials. It is solar powered and harvests rainwater.
- Planting native plants to encourage wildlife and birds.
- Pest Control at Araheke Reserve
- The instigation of an orchard and vegetable garden.
- The promotion of the Environmental Care Code, River Care Code, Marine Mammal Protection Code.
- Sharing of local histories and stories of what the land was like, how it was used, and how it is used today to increase an awareness of human impact on the environment.